<body> </body>



Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Past the point.
It's so easy to let time slip by. Here I find myself two weeks after my last post.. wondering where it all went.

Week 8 already.

So two weeks ago.. we three- Matt, Kris and I- slogged on a speech Kris was to deliver in a history class. Great bonding amongst us three friends, but hard work.. emotionally draining to many extents. Speech went well-ish on Wednesday and coming home from a long day at uni I managed to land myself a paid service at late servery prior to a mega-quick shower preceding the act of jumping into the randomest smoko outfit. Naughty Nautical happened in the Quad that night, attracting nearly 300 people who must have moved in and out. I got down only at 9.30pm not expecting to stay the whole duration but time flew by, there were people to catch up with and eventually I found myself at the end of the event.. sobered up with Matt, Kris and Simin. That Friday college organised a faculty dinner for Architecture, Engineering and IT undergrads featuring a speech on "The Climate Challenge" delivered by chief scientist, Dr Jim Peacock. It was great getting to meet both this renowned fellow and ex-Ormondians.. some who had been here in the 60s and 70s and have now retired.

So the Saturday I had dim sum with Stephie, Hsiang and Caitlyn at Red Emperor.. bumped into Zheng Xi. Had Trampoline gelati after, and followed this up with a crepe indulgence at Centre Way on Collins with Jian Ming and Simin. Rushed back to do student service.. then rushed out for dinner at Vina Bar with Sarah, Mei Sze and Jian Ming.. then rushed again, this time back to college for the Choir Concert. Was pleasantly surprised by a telephone call from Chin Yeow (who's in Sydney) that night as well. The Sunday was spent lazing around.. talking to Kris and Lindsey then watching a bit of my first ever footy game where Ormond firsts beat St Hilda's by 9 points. Sat in chapel after dinner that night.. it was Father's Day here in Australia.

Last Monday I put myself on the language table because all Mandarin and Japanese speakers were invited to dine together. It was interesting attempting to speak in Mandarin, some Hokkien and some Cantonese far away from where I'm used to. Wen turned 19 the day after, and we surprised her with a cake at Allen House after tutorials. Wednesday was super long and by the time I got home I had to jump into my outfit for Bursary Dinner. I was volunteering help wait tables with a bunch of people, Matt and Jes included. Matt had gone out to Richmond to rent fezs (Aladdin's monkey-inspired hats) from a Moroccan shop and over the course of the night both him and I had a fez on while serving. Ambience was great, turn out was poor.. post-clean up and putting a friend to sleep, I ended up spending more than half of Master's Dance talking to friends from Picken, the building I used to live in. Didn't do anything Thursday, but the baking bug in me awoke.. got into trouble for missing people out in the distribution of cupcake love though. Friday was spent in after light shopping and lunching at Coretto on Lygon with Anna, Jane, Amy, Mei Sze and Lindsey post-design studio.

Saturday night I watched a lesbian-themed university play that two friends were involved with. "Wild Orchids" was thought-evoking albeit not being the best, and it centred about the struggle to come out in the Asian community.. making a choice between a social expectation and being true to oneself. The lead here found herself conforming to the former but later on in life finds herself confronted by old emotions that she thought she had forever tucked away as memories.. I was more moved than I imagined to be, also because I had gone in with some doubt and no particular expectations.

Spent all of Sunday doing.. nothing much. It's so hard how the weekend passes me by without me realising.. Monday I paid a visit to the Architecture library, sourced assignment material. Went to my Modern Architecture lecture yesterday and I must say I am enjoying it very much more than I did with European Architecture last year. And what brought this realisation about was really a conversation I had with Matt later on in the day.. he has taken a hilarious almost obsessive interest in all things to do with Mies van der Rohe. Geeky I know but I could randomly guess what it was that he was talking about- comparison between Mies' Farnsworth House and its strong influence on Philip Johnson's (own) Glass House in Connecticut.

It's already Wednesday. Cox and Box (ie college annual pub crawl where girls start at one place, guys at another and then they meet somewhere) tonight but I truly can't be bothered being there. It's been such an exhausting semester, I'm so glad that the mid-semester holidays are here. Two more days. Two long exhausting days, after which there is the Students' Club Dinner on Friday.. to cap off this two-thirds mark of the semester.

A Corbs essay, another Guggenheim Collection visit and spontaneity and/or R&R to look forward to in the next fortnight.

Sher Reen; 4:03 AM
0 comments


Writer.

Sher Reen;
20
Melbourne / KL
Architecture
This, is Chapter II.

Other Writers.

Ai Leen, Teh
Andrew Loh
Christina Tee
Harold Edwin Yap
Hui Lynn, Tan
Janelle Lee
Jian Wey, Chin
Ju Vern, Ew
Marcus Teo
Naveena Charles
Pui Ee, Lai
Sher Vin, Lum
Siew Kim, Yeo
Sook Yan, Leong
Sue Jan, Yeong
Wendy Tan
Yew Jhin, Kuok

Summer School 2004.

CTSS 2004 Blog
HMIC Mmilidzi Habangaan
Irina
Pamela Loo
Trinity Summer School 2004

Mention- Worthy.

! Ken's Deviant Art

Cuppacakes
Joyce the kinkybluefairy
Karen Cheng
MINZ
Purse Blog

Written.


November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008

Credits.

Layout: I
Fonts: I
Image: I
Brushes: I II